When I first read this through, I thought little of it. But the second and third time, I started to think a little deeper about it. What he is really saying isn't that you could give them food and money and the war will end, but that if we were all treated equally, there would be no reason for war. This also implies that the reason for war is inequality. And inequality, as we have discussed in class, leads to imperialism. When one country has something better, such as weapons, railroads, and steam engines, everyone else wants to out do them, and look better. This is actually quite childish, if you think about it long enough. It's all about countries being jealous of the others possessions, power, and strength. And that jealousy is enough to lead to a world war, and kill millions.
I found this picture, of a hospital from world war 1. As you can see, there are probably 50 or more hospital beds, all occupied with soldiers. This truly shows the impact of the war, and relates to the quote, showing what inequality truly can do.
OK THANK YOU for describing that quote from Kat like you did, I was thinking that was what it meant, but I really wasn't sure. The way you defined it helped me understand I was right about what I thought. It wasn't being literal saying that if you gave them the same food and pay the war would be over, but if everyone was equal it would be over.
ReplyDeletenice work! i like how you described one page on how war happened for childish reasons.like in equality and how every time a country had a good benefit everyone else wanted it for themselves which lead to war.
ReplyDeletenice job! I completely agree with you, I too was confused at the begining and I have found myself looking back in the book multiple times. I like your thinking for that quote and I believe that you are right, thanks for clearing it up for me.
ReplyDeleteWhen I first read that quote it didnt make sense to me about how that would end the war. The way you described it was perfect. It makes total sense. I dont think I would have ever came up with an explanation like you did. Good job!
ReplyDelete